Sunday, March 11, 2007

The weather is finally beginning to warm up, and snow is starting to melt. The early switch to daylight savings time took me by surprise, and it wasn't until I saw my brother's blog that I remembered.


I've been making some more progress on my genealogy research. One branch of Laurie's family seemed to like living on French tropical islands. This distinguished lady, Elizabeth Boisson De La Rousseliere, lived on Reunion, in the Indian Ocean near Mauritius. She was the Major's great grandmother. Others lived in the French Antilles, including one that was an early French explorer of Martinique, Domenica, and Guadeloupe. His name was Guillaume d'Orange, and he was sent on his exploration by the French governor in about 1631. I'm going to try to find a book about the colonization of Guadeloupe and see if I can learn more.

2 Comments:

Blogger SweetFrenchTooth said...

One of my cousins just informed me that an ancestors of ours was named Guillaume d'Orange born in 1605 in Cherbourg France and died in 1674 Fort Royal Martinique.
Could it be the same as you are referring to in your blog ??

2:40 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Sorry it has been so long since I checked this. It does seem that this is the same person, so I guess you are a distant cousin of my wife!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home