Monday, February 12, 2007

Fulk the Rude.

I've been doing some geneological research, and I have found a remarkable line going back to the 11th century (and more). Through my grandmother's family, we are related to the 11th century Count of Anjou, Fulk the Rude. Now, the link is pretty small - my grandmother's great grandmother was Jane McDonald. Today, I found some more information about Jane McDonald. Her mother was Elizabeth Brownlee, and the Brownlee's go back far six generations and their name was Browne, specifically Thomas Browne, born in 1575. His great-great-grandmother was Margaret Warren, born about 1374. Her great-grandfather was John De Warenne, born 1286. His great-grandfather was William Plantagenet, born 1166. William Plantagenet's great great grandfather was Fulk the Rude, Count of Anjou, born 1042 and died in 1109. Fulk was a contemporary of William the Conqueror, and he is also one of William Plantagenet's great-great-grandfather's, so I'm also descended from William the Conqueror. He's my great x25 grandfather or thereabouts. But so is Fulk the Rude, which is much funnier. I'm going to see what I can find out, but my first foray didn't say how he got the name.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

I think we're related. I just found the same line. I'm not sure how many greats there are between me and thee, but I'm thinking of having T-shirts printed up "I'm related to Fulk the Rude". It's better than Someone The Diligent I found earlier this week. The line that I found Fulk on goes back to like 380 AD. I have to find the link again. Any interest in it if I find it? My blog is www.psyche-stew.blogger.com if you want to find out more about me.

Talk to you later,
your Cuz
Pamela

1:37 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'd be happy to see the rest of the line. I saw it went back a bit, but stopped at Fulk due to the amusement factor.

10:23 AM  
Blogger TX expat said...

I've been working on my family tree for about 10 years now, Fulk the Rude is my 28 times great grandfather.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home