Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Politics in New York is an interesting thing. I live in one of the "swing districts," NY 24, because Sherwood Boehlert is retiring. I have enormous respect for Mr Boehlert, and met him once at Fort Stanwix. I did the archeology there before they built their new visitor's center, and Mr. Boehlert represents both myself and the Fort. To put it simply, Mr. Boehlert is smart, and was willing to be smart and defend a position based on careful consideration and precedent rather than simple political expediency. I suspect his being chair of the house Science Committee is related to that.

The race has been pretty hot. Now we have a choice between a Democrat and a couple of very conservative Republicans. I don't like the things the Republican party has done to the country with full control over Congress and the White House, so I would be happy if they lost control of the House. I have to say it was not very smart of them to put a candidate forward that wasn't a moderate like Boehlert was. I think the Democrat will win, and I hope he does to show the conservative powers-that-be that they are out of touch with America.

We also have Hillary Clinton, our current senator and running for re-election. She has overwhelming odds against everyone, both of the Republicans and some Democratic challengers. The Republicans are, not surprisingly, challenging her from the right, while at least one Democrat is challenging her from the left. The democrat challenger, Jonathon Tasini, wants to win like Lamont did over Lieberman (who I think should either leave the Democratic party or drop out of the race, since he lost the primary), but I don't think he has a chance. Not because of the money, the name, or any of the rest of it, but because Hillary has not managed to make the NY voting public hate her like Lieberman did. Sure, the Republicans don't want her elected, and a few wacko's hate her (hmmm... competant woman with a brain that is willing to act. Could this be why?), but the majority of New Yorkers see her as a politician that has worked out fine.

But then we have a few more interesting fellows in the background, like this guy from Trumansburg. I have to agree with some of his views, like the trampling of the Constitution by the Bush adminstration, but he, like many, rails against the Federal Reserve and the entire U.S. and global monetary system. I'd rather start with having our elected officials follow the laws and make decisions based on good ideas rather than their own ideology, a desire to control the world, or simple stupidity or greed, like Duke Cunningham. I'm glad he's not from New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home